Vagabonding

Posted by Watch Me Rise | Sunday, March 29, 2009 | | 0 comments »

vag·a·bond (vg-bnd)

n.
1. A person without a permanent home who moves from place to place.
2. A vagrant; a tramp.
3. A wanderer; a rover.
adj.
1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a wanderer; nomadic.
2. Aimless; drifting.
3. Irregular in course or behavior; unpredictable.
intr.v. vag·a·bond·ed, vag·a·bond·ing, vag·a·bonds
To lead the life of a vagabond; roam about.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Story...
My girlfriend and I have been putting together a Bucket List for the past couple of months (eventually it will probably make it's way up here). Anyway, one day I asked her "If you could take a vacation anywhere in the world for any length of time, where would you go?" and being the wonderfully smart and imaginative young lady that she is, she came up with this huge elaborate plan of traveling the whole world. I mean from country to country without looking at a map, she put together a trip that not only made sense but sounded like more fun than anyone in the world has ever had. Right away I said, "Yes!" She looked at me and said "Yes, what?" "Yes, we're doing that..."
So, about a month and a half later we're doing everything we can in preparation for our journey. We went to Borders and bought maps and books and went to the library and took out books like 1,000 PLACES TO SEE BEFORE YOU DIE and THE TRAVEL BOOK and went through and found the most amazing places and things to do. We started putting these places on the map and finding out everything we could to prepare. We've each started learning a language (Mandarin for her and Spanish for me... we're also going to learn French and Arabic)
She picked up a book called
Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel, which you can find here. ... completely worth it. I'm a terribly slow reader and i finished

it in two days flat. But Anyway, I've got like another year left in school so after I graduate i'm

going to work for like 6 months and then we're off. We're thining we're going to be gone for about

five to seven years. As time progresses I'm sure you'll be reading a lot more about this trip. As

for now, here's a few links and I'm off to bed...

Watch For Inspiration

Watch For Information

Couchsurfing

Vagabondish Travelzine

BootsnAll

Backpacking & Budget Travel

Side note: My girlfriend and I can be found on couchsurfing.com by clicking the link on the side. Feel free to add us if you have an account, if you don't go right ahead and make one.

Bookmark and Share

0 comments